University of Florida Homepage

Sociology and Criminology & Law

Advising FAQs

Where can I start with Advising?

The ONE.UF system allows students to conduct an audit of their current major as well as explore other majors and minors. Reviewing their own audits allows students to monitor their progress. Advisors can help answer questions about the audits.   However, requirements that have not yet been met are marked in red on the audit reports, and are relatively easy to determine.

Where do I go for Advising?

For questions regarding requirements for the major, see Criminology graduate student advisors in 3231 Turlington Hall or the undergraduate coordinator (Dr.Lane, 3332 Turlington;  If your questions pertain to requirements outside of the major (such as foreign language, Gen Ed, Gordon Rule, etc.) you’ll need to visit the college’s Academic Advising Center in Farrior Hall, located on Fletcher Dr.  See their website at:

How do I make an appointment for advising?

For questions about the major, you may walk in during the Criminology graduate student advisors’ office hours. The office hours will be posted outside the door of the advising office (3231 Turlington) and are posted online ( ). The same will be true of the Undergraduate Coordinator (3332 Turlington). You may also make appointments.

For questions about college or university requirements, go to the Academic Advisement Center for the college in Farrior Hall.  See their website at: The Center takes appointments as well as walk-ins. During peak times, such as drop/add and pre-registration, you will need to make an appointment to avoid waiting a very long time. The contact number for the CLAS Academic Advisement Center is 392-1521.

What are the Criminology Advising Hours?

Office hours for each term will be posted outside the offices and online ( Because of limited summer budgets, advising in the summer will be limited and may often be done via email.

How do I get into the courses I want?

Because of high demand and limited resources, most of our classes are restricted to majors and don’t open up to others until drop/add. If you are not an official major, you may not be able to take most of our courses. Therefore, it is important to declare the major before registration starts. This includes those who want to add Criminology as a second major.

The major is essentially an “upper division” one because almost all of its courses are at the 3000 or 4000 level. To make sure our juniors and seniors make progress to graduate on time, most of those courses are restricted to 3rd or 4th year majors until drop-add. If you do not yet have junior standing, you may have to wait until drop-add to get many of the upper division courses. While this may limit your choices at the time, it will guarantee better choices once your become a junior.

It is important to remove any “hold” that you may have before registration starts. You will be blocked from registering for courses until holds are removed. Some courses fill quickly. This is especially important if you are in your last semester and need to complete requirements.

How do I remove a hold on my record in order to register?

Some holds (e.g., emergency contacts, registration information) can be removed online by the student. Some holds (e.g., financial ones due to tuition owed or parking tickets) will require students to settle their accounts. Other holds (off track, grades) can only be removed by the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Academic Advising Center. The Criminology advisors will not be able to remove any holds directly (although sometimes you will be required to obtain advice from the division before the college will remove a hold).

May I add Criminology as a second major?

Yes, students may have more than one major. If the second major involves a different degree (e.g., BS for one major and a BA for the other), you will dual major. If the second major involves the same degree (e.g., two BA degrees), you will double major. To add Criminology as a second major is restrictive. Generally, you will have to meet the tracking requirements, have a 3.5 cumulative grade point average, provide a good reason for adding the major, and demonstrate that you can complete both degrees without delaying your graduation. There are forms available online at You will need to have a plan of study and signatures from both majors. The final decision is made by the Academic Advising Center.

Do I have to do a senior thesis?

No, it is not required of students in criminology to do a senior thesis, and only those who are eligible for honors designation (grade point average of 3.5 or better on all coursework after 60 hours) can pursue the thesis.  See Upper Division Honors.