Associate Professor, Sociology
Office: Turlington 3227
Hours: Tuesdays 1-3 pm, Wednesdays 3-4:30 pm, or by appointment.
Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox has taught at the University of Florida since 2000, where she is also an affiliate faculty member with the Center for Gender, Sexualities, and Women’s Studies Research and Center for European Studies. She currently serves as Deputy Editor of Journal of Family Issues.
Her research has sought to identify the social and demographic factors related to attitudes about remaining childless, using nationally representative and cross-national survey data. Over the past 10 years, she has also assessed student perceptions, biases, and attitudes about childlessness, working mothers, and same-sex couples with or without children using her own data collected from over 3,400 university students. She is currently collaborating with scholars in Turkey (Dr. Zeynep Copur, Hacettepe University) and Japan (Dr. Yoshimi Kataoka and Dr. Takashi Fukino, Shimane University) on a cross-cultural comparison of students’ perceptions and attitudes.
Dr. Koropeckyj-Cox has published numerous articles in social science journals in family studies, gender, and gerontology. Her research has garnered press and public radio news coverage in Florida, nationally, and internationally.
- Introduction to Marriage and Families (SYG 2430) – in class and online
- U.S. Population Issues (SYD 4021)
- European Population Issues (SYA 4930/EUS 4930)
- American Families (SYO 4102)
Understanding People and Big Data (IDS 4930)
- Team-taught with David Miller (College of Education), Nicole Stedman (IFAS), Norm Lewis (Journalism), Michael Martinez (CLAS, Political Science)
- Population Issues (SYA 7933) – Fall 2016
- Topics in Family Research (SYO 6175) — Spring 2015
- Gender and Aging (SYA 7933) — Spring 2012
- Families, Aging, and the Life Course (SYA 7933)
- American Families (SYA 6107)
Areas of Specialization
- Gender, Childlessness, and Singlehood over the Life Course
- Marriage, Families, and Fertility
- Social Demography
- Families, Aging, and the Life Course in the U.S. and Europe
- Quantitative and Qualitative Methods
- Attitudes about Childlessness, Gender, Family, and Population Issues in the U.S. and Cross-nationally
- Mental and Physical Health, Cultural Competence and Communication in Health Care
Dr, Koropeckyj-Cox’s research has focused on parenthood, childlessness, and social change. She examines social attitudes and perceptions with regard to family and gender, particularly with regard to childbearing and different family forms. Dr. Koropeckyj-Cox’s goal is to better understand how changing social attitudes and individual perceptions of family and gender shape decisions in younger adulthood and influence psychological well-being among older adults.
- Oh, Hunhui, Monika Ardelt, and Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox. 2016. “Daughters’ Generation: The Importance of Having Daughters Living Nearby for Older Korean Immigrants’ Health.” Journal of Family Issues. In press. Published online March 18, 2016. doi:10.1177/0192513X16640023.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, Zeynep Çopur, Victor Romano, and Susan Cody-Rydzewski. 2015. “College Students’ Perceptions of Couples Who Are Childless, Childfree, or Parents.” Journal of Family Issues. In press. Published online November 30, 2015, doi: 10.1177/0192513X15618993.
- Gui, Tianhan *, and Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox. 2016. “’I am the only child of my parents”: Perspectives on future elder care for parents among Chinese only-children living overseas.” Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology, 31, 255-275. Published online May 28, 2016, doi: 10.1007/s10823-016-9295-z.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, and Zeynep Çopur. 2015. “Attitudes about Childlessness and Infertility Treatments: A Comparison of Turkish and American University Students.” Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 46, 373-402.
- Coran, Justin, Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox, and Christa L. Arnold. 2013. ““Exploring Dyadic Concordance in Physician-Patient Dyads Using a Paired Survey Approach.” Health Education and Behavior, 40, 603-611.
- Ceobanu, Alin M., and Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox. 2012. “Should International Migration Be Encouraged to Offset Population Aging? A Cross-Country Analysies of Public Attitudes in Europe.” Population Research and Policy Review, 31, 261-284.
- Yoshimi Kataoka, Takashi Fukino,Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox, and Zeynep Çopur. 2011. “Discussion on an International Comparative Study on the Structure of Attitudes toward Gender Role Norms.” Published in Japanese in Journal of Socio-Cultural Studies: Memoirs of Faculty of Law and Literature, Shimane University, vol.7, March 2011.
- Çopur, Zeynep, and Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox. 2010. “University Students’ Perceptions of Childless Couples and Parents in Ankara,Turkey.” Journal of Family Issues, 31, 1481–1506.
- Bures, Regina, Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox, and Michael Loree. 2009. “Definitions of Childlessness and Psychosocial Well-Being.” Journal of Family Issues, 30, 670-687.
- Glicksman, Allen, and Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox. 2009. “Aging Among Jewish Americans: Implications for Understanding Religion and Ethnicity.” The Gerontologist, 49, 816-827.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya. 2008. “Singlehood.” In Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development, edited by Deborah S. Carr(Editor-in-chief), Amy Pienta (volume editor). Farmington Hills, MI: Thomson/Gale. Volume 3, pp. 370-375.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya. 2008. “Loneliness in Later Life.” In Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development, edited by Deborah S. Carr (Editor-in-chief), Amy Pienta (volume editor). Farmington Hills, MI: Thomson/Gale. Volume 3, pp. 229-232.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, Charles Gattone, William Jawde, and Deeb-Paul Kitchen. 2008. “Community Contexts of University Performing Arts Presenters and Their Audiences.”
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya and Gretchen Pendell. 2007. “The Gender Gap in Attitudes about Childlessness in the United States.” Journal of Marriage and Family 69, 899-915.
- Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox and Gretchen Pendell. 2007. “Attitudes about Childlessness in the United States: Correlates of Positive, Neutral, and Negative Responses.” Journal of Family Issues 28, 1054-1082.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, and Vaughn Call. 2007. “Characteristics of Childless Older Persons and Parents: Cross-National Comparisons.” Journal of Family Issues, 28, 1362-1414. Special Issue entitled, “Childless Older Adults: Cross National Comparisons.” Pearl Dykstra and Gunhild Hagestad (editors).
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, Amy Mehraban Pienta, and Tyson H. Brown. 2007. “Women of the 1950s and the “Normative” Life Course: The Implications of Childlessness, Fertility Timing, and Marital Status for Psychosocial Well-Being in Late Midlife.” International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 64, 299-330.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, Victor Romano, and Amanda Moras. 2007. “Through the Lenses of Gender, Race, and Class: Students’ Perceptions of Childless/Childfree Individuals and Couples.” Sex Roles, 56, 415-428.