Associate Professor, Criminology & Law
- Ph.D. University of Colorado, Sociology, 2001
- B.A. University of Delaware, English Literature and Criminal Justice, 1992
Areas of Interest
- Communities and Crime
- Family Influences on Juvenile Delinquency
- Gender and Offending
- Victimization and Offending
- Crime Prevention and Public Policy
- CCJ410: Juvenile Justice
- CCJ4014: Criminological Theory
- CCJ6920: Seminar on Criminological Theory
Dr. Fagan’s research focuses on the etiology and prevention of juvenile delinquency and drug use, with an emphasis on examining the ways in which scientific advances can be successfully translated into effective crime and delinquency prevention practices. Dr. Fagan has been a Principal Investigator on research funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the National Institute of Justice to study the role of victimization experiences and community influences on juvenile offending. She has worked on the Blueprints for Violence Prevention Initiative and the Community Youth Development Study, both of which seek to assist community agencies and practitioners in identifying and replicating with fidelity effective delinquency prevention programs. Her etiological and applied work has been published in leading journals in criminology, psychology, and public health and shared with scientists, policy makers, and practitioners at conferences and invited presentations. A 2012 study published in the Journal of Criminal Justice Education ranked Dr. Fagan as one of the most productive scholars among Assistant Professors (her rank at the time of the study) in the U.S., measured by the number of published peer-reviewed journal article and citations, H-Index, and m-quotient.
- Elliott, Delbert and Abigail A. Fagan. 2017. The Prevention of Crime. Wiley: Hoboken, NJ.
- Fagan, Abigail A. and Molly Buchanan. 2016. “What Works in Crime Prevention? A Comparison and Critical Review of Three Crime Prevention Registries.” Criminology and Public Policy 15(3): 617-649.
- Fagan, Abigail A., Wright, Emily M., and Gillian M. Pinchevsky. 2014. “The Protective Effects of Neighborhood Collective Efficacy on Adolescent Substance Use and Violence Following Exposure to Violence.” Journal of Youth and Adolescence 43(9): 1498-1512.
- Wright, Emily M. and Abigail A. Fagan. 2013. “The Cycle of Violence in Context: Exploring the Moderating Roles of Neighborhood Disadvantage and Cultural Norms.” Criminology 51(2): 217-249.
- Catalano, Richard F., Abigail A. Fagan, Mark T. Greenberg, Charles Irwin, David A. Ross, Vikram Patel, Daniel T.L. Shek. 2012. “Worldwide Application of Prevention Science in Adolescent Health.” The Lancet 379: 1653-1664.
- Hawkins, J. David, Sabrina Oesterle, Eric C. Brown, Michael W. Arthur, Robert D. Abbott, Abigail A. Fagan, and Richard F. Catalano. 2009. “Results of a Type 2 Translational Research Trial to Prevent Adolescent Drug Use and Delinquency: A Test of Communities That Care.” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 163(9): 789-798.
Phone: (352) 294-7169
Room: 3362 Turlington Hall
- Spring 2020: Thursday 10:30am-12:30pm and Tuesday/Thursday 1:45-2:45 pm or by appointment
- Personal Webpage